For those of you looking to try out a new ‘do in 2013, my hair stylist Kylee Heath has put together a little hair how-to with some quick and easy steps to achieve a 90s-inspired messy side part. Check out her step-by-step guide below and let me know if you try this look at home! xoxo, Whit
Tools & Product
- Volume Mousse or Spray (ex. Redken 07 Full Frame Protective Volumizing Mousse)
- Flat Clips
- Finishing Oil or Shine Spray (ex. Biosilk Finish Shine On Spray)
Step by Step
- First, add a volumizing spray or mousse to damp hair. Work the product into the roots and scrunch some product throughout the mid shaft and ends of the hair.
- Comb your hair back and part your hair, starting at the arch of your eyebrow pulling the part straight back. When doing a side part, it is most flattering to start the part at the arch.
- Blow dry the front of your hair at the roots blowing the air downward.
- Once the front of your hair is dry, clip each side with a long flat clip just above your ear to hold it in place and to let it set.
- Rough dry the rest of your hair, blow drying it in all directions to create movement and texture. This look is meant to have a sturdy part and then be undone and messy throughout, so don’t be shy with the blowdryer.
- Once all the hair is dry, remove the clips and if you feel the need, add a little serum or shine spray to polish the ends a bit.
- *One great thing about this look is that it can be worn with clean or dirty hair. If you are starting with dirty hair, you will need to wet down the front sections with a water bottle and then follow the same steps and there you go!
- If you feel the part is too severe, start the part at the arch of the eye brow and pull it back at a slight diagonal towards the center of the head rather than straight back. this helps the hair to be distributed more evenly and more wearable for some.
- When switching up your part you have to train it. This is why it is important to use products.
- If you aren’t sure what side to part your hair, part it on the side in which your features are lower on your face. Everyone has one eye lower than the other. If its your right eye, part on the right and it will help to create the illusion of a perfect face.