Since St. Patty’s Day is tomorrow, I thought it would be fun to post a recipe for a festive and tasty Irish themed dessert. The only problem was, that I myself had never made a St. Patty’s Day dessert. Thank god for the internet. After scouring the web, I settled on a recipe for Carmel Rice Krispy Treats that I found on a blog called Wants and Wishes. So I have to give a special thank you and shout out to whoever is responsible for that blog and these yummy looking treats!
Check out the pic above to see how this dessert SHOULD turn out and then you can find recipe below. I’ve also included photos of other St. Patty’s themed desserts for those of you who are just looking for a little inspiration in your kitchen.
Rice Krispy Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons of butter
1 10 oz. package of regular marshmallows or 4 cups of mini marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispies
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Melt butter over sauce pan on low.
2. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
3. Mix in Rice Krispies until evenly coated.
Microwave Directions for a quicker & mess free way:
1. Melt butter in the microwave about 20-35 secs depending if your butter is room temperature or frozen.
(If you are coloring your Rice Krispies like we did- add food coloring after your butter is melted and mix well.
2. Add marshmallows put in microwave for 1 minute. Stir well and the marshmallows will soften. If not completely melted put in for another 30 seconds.
3. Add your Rice Krispies.
4. Place in buttered 9×13 pan. Make sure the Rice Krispies are packed in. (You can use a bottom of a measuring cup to do this so it doesn’t stick to your fingers)
While those are cooling you can make your carmel. You can use store bought and just melt the cubes, but I would suggest using All Recipes Carmel Recipe… it makes such a difference.
All Recipe Carmel Recipe
1. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup cream and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring often, then stir in remaining 1 cup cream.
2. Heat, without stirring, to 242 degrees F (116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into a cold water forms a firm but pliable ball. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla.
3. Pour over Rice Krispy Treats.